I just bought this model from Hewlette-Packard shop in Bangkok, Thailand. So, I write review for everyone as a test result for people who is interesting on Santa Rosa platform.
Before I bought this model, I’m using Sony VAIO PCG-Z1VAP which has following specification…
Intel Centrino Platform
CPU : Intel Pentium M 1.73GHz L2 512Kb
Memory : SDRAM 1024MB (512MBx2)
HDD : 80GB 4200RPM IDE Interface
Graphics : ATI 7500 16MB
Optical Drive : DVD/CD-RW Combo
I’m satisfied on its performance for using on my current job as software development. (Heavily loaded with many applications such as Microsoft SQL Server 2005, Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 and etc…)
I use it until a day I found the nightmare! My VAIO gone shutdown automatically without the chance to let me saving my works. I restart it again and it work normally, then a few hours passed it gone shutdown again. (shutdown immediately, not Windows shutdown) So, it’s my time to get a new one ASAP.
I’m researching about current platform and technology on current laptop and found that the latest platform people would buy is the new one called “Centrino Duo Pro” or “Santa Rosa” which are the combination of …
1. Intel Core 2 Duo 7300 or above which have L2 Cache 4MB and FSB800.
2. Intel Chipset 965PM/GM (PM = External graphics card, GM = Integrated graphics card)
3. Wireless-N which I really don’t know much about it except it’s faster than class B/G.
So, I build a comparison chart myself which laptop based on Santa Rosa platform. When I compare the price and material grade. The one I bought is the best value laptop! (I preferred to everyone who don’t want to play games on laptop as the one I bought is integrated with Intel X3100 graphics card)
Let’s see HP dv6501tu specification in details. Even it’s not fully compatible with “Santa Rosa” as this model didn’t equipped with Wireless-N
CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2.0GHz L2 4MB FSB800
Chipset : Intel 965GM
Memory : DDRII 667 1024MB (512MBx2) Dual Channel
HDD : 200GB S-ATA 4200RPM
Graphics : Intel X3100 integrated
Optical drive : DVD-RW with LightScribe
LCD : 15.4″ WXGA
Accessories : Fingerprint reader, Bluetooth, WiFi A/B/G, Slim Remote Control (in PC Card Express slot), 3xUSB2.0, Imprint material, Altec Lansing speaker, SD/MMC/MS-PRO/XD …
OS : Bundled with Windows Vista Home Premium in recovery partition.
After bought, I’m trying to do software development tasks on it but in bad luck. Vista is so slow when working with large applications simultaneously. I’m just open Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 with Microsoft SQL Server 2005 and a little Office suite. It takes me in bad experiences with Vista. Now, I think that I should go back to work with Windows XP SP2 instead of Vista but in bad luck again. All drivers for this laptop is very hard to find even on Hewlett-Packard website. So, I think I should wait to found all drivers before installing Windows XP. Now I’m going to get all drivers from Windows Vista instead of. It’s my good luck as I can find all Vista drivers for this laptop not much hard that Windows XP does. I can’t work for a day as it’s in slow performance. Next day I go to the shop and replace the existing memory 512MBx2 with 1024MBx2 instead of. Then replace the bundled Vista Home Premium with Vista Ultimate edition.
Now my laptop was fully equipped with the latest weapons in present. So, I decide to try again with Windows Vista.
Now It works very well, fast and beautiful with Aero. Now I forgotten Windows XP.
I’m very happy with overall quality of this laptop and have some comments below.
- Very fast.
- High quality material.
- Keyboard layout and feeling is very good. For me it’s much better than Asus, Acer and Compaq.
- Heat ventilation is very well design. Just a few times that I heard the fan is working.
- X3100 graphics card is better than I think, I can play Pro Evolution Soccer 6 without any jerking.
- High quality speaker from Altec Lansing. Much better than my brother’s Sony VAIO SZ series.
- One bright pixel after using for 1-2 days.
- Fingerprint reader is sucks! or I’m sucks! I should swipe my finger around 3-10 times to be authenticated.
- Short battery life, on my works it last only 2 hours. When compared to my old VAIO, it sucks! as my VAIO last much longer. (4-6 hours)
- No recovery CD/DVD or any drivers CD.
- Palm rest area was not smooth.
It’s one of the best value laptop today with latest platform “Santa Rosa” and very impressed!
I’ll upload with some pictures, please re-check again in a few days.